Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Words, Words, Words

Otto will soon turn 15 months old and will go for his well child check on Thursday where he'll be weighed, measured and poked. Until then I thought I'd share some of the many words Otto has learned. It's quite amazing the rate at which he learns and uses new words. He mostly says one syllable words repeated several times at once. Usually Andrew and I are the only two who know what he's saying, but some of his words are understood by others. He also has really been stringing sounds/words together to form sentences and even uses intonation. Most of these streams of sounds are not understood by anyone, but we always acknowledge that he's said something and either try to mimic what he's said or just give some random reply like, "Oh, I didn't know that. Can you tell me more?" I can see why toddlers get so frustrated by not being understood.
So here's a quite remarkable list of Otto's words/sounds:
more, bird, mama, dada, blueberries, bubbles, dog, woof, meow, quack, duck, cup, moo, roar, binkey, airplane, truck, car, key, bus, balloon, ball, book, juice, apple, cracker, cookie, shoes, yogurt, banana, night-night, boo, up, down...
I'm sure I've forgotten loads more, but these are just a few that he uses regularly.
Last night Andrew and Otto were downstairs watching the NCAA championship basketball game together and Otto said "night-night." Andrew brought him upstairs and put on his pajamas and Otto went right to sleep in his crib. I guess the basketball must have worn him out. Words, words, words...

1 comment:

adrienne said...

You forgot to add "auntie" and "adrienne" to his list of words.